Saturday, August 18, 2012

Reviews and Rants about Summer Flicks

Well sorry everyone but I was definitely MIA this summer. I've obtained some freelance work as a copywriter and I still work the day job. In addition to this, my resume has all of the sudden got hits like crazy on Monster, so I've had some important interviews as well. Still, I made it out to the movies to see a few summer flicks. I definitely did not get to see everything I wanted to this year. I was royally pissed that I missed Prometheus in the theaters, and to rub salt in the would the Katy Perry movie replaced the film in my favorite local theater. They bumped out something I've been dying to see from one of my favorite directors for a movie that will last two weeks to a month. Well maybe I'm wrong about that, but somehow the Katie Perry Movie sounds more like something that should have been a great You Tube video instead of a theatrical movie. I won't bother to even google the name of the Katy Perry movie...but actually, I think that's the name of it to make things worse. The Katy Perry Movie. Well, the teenage girl demographic wins over the nerdy guy demographic this time because they thought they'd get to the movies quicker and in bigger numbers.

So, on to some quick overviews/reviews of summer flicks. Loved Avengers and Dark Knight Rises which all met my expectations. I could pick at some things in Dark Knight Rises, but I'm going to save that for later posts on Batman. I saw Snow White and the Huntsman and overall enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good flick. From the movie's first scenes with Kristen Stewart, I thought were have I seen that actress! It was driving me insane, until I just said to myself "Okay, she's Rouge from the X-Men movies. Stop thinking about it so you can enjoy the darn thing." I was wrong, of course. The storyline turned the familiar fairy tale into an adventure-romance-hybrid pretty well. It's a great date movie for that reason. Chris Hemsowrth aka Thor pays the huntsman role well. Originally a noble side character this film turns him into a burly action hero, as you might guess from the movie's name. I felt uncomfortably old fashioned at the film's climax as Snow White dons armor and a broadsword to attack the evil queen's castle. The girl's maybe 135 lbs soaking wet after eating at Moe's okay, and that stuff is heavy! The armor weighs as much as she does! Okay, let's say the forces of good are on her side and move on. I promise I'm not a sexist. It's just...If she had biceps bigger than Thor and her name was Helga it'd be different! Okay, I'm done. The film introduces a love triangle relationship that is unresolved at the end, perhaps leading the viewer into wanting to see a sequel. Wait...where's that girl from....Twilight! Yes, that's it. Oh, so we borrowed the whole love triangle thing that from that too....okay. Not a bad flick. The evil queen actually steals the show in this one, and really makes this fun to watch. My sister pointed out they stole the love triangle from Twilight by the way.


I wasn't sure how I would like Amazing Spiderman at first, but I saw it and enjoyed it. I never read the comic and the Tobey McGuire franchise was special to me since I graduated high school the years those characters did in the movie. I was in college and trying to break into my career, and the characters were doing the same in the movies. Plus, they were good movies in one of my favorite genres so I really loved them. The franchise reboot Amazing Spiderman was a heck of a good movie though. Some parts do feel to familiar since ten years ago the original came out, and the storyline is basically the same as Spiderman. The lizard, this film's villain, also hears voices just like green goblin which I think was too much. However, the special effects in this movie are amazing, no pun intended, and it's shocking to see how much film special effects can improve in ten years and with a bigger budget. Also, the romance is much better done and a lot steamier than in the first films. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield fog up the screen in their scenes together in ways that, sad to say, Mcguire and Dunst never could. We do have the one scene in the original that's now classic of Mary Jane kissing Spiderman upside down but, other than that, the love story is much better in this film. Overall, the story was a little different than the original and, I have been told, more authentic to the comics. I liked the fact that Parker was more a boy genius in this one, and his father is part of the storyline. I Still hope Spiderman can join the Avengers; though I have been informed by the comics gurus why this might be problematic. Well, If I get good sequels to Avengers, Thor and Iron Man I'll be pleased. I'm going to take a break from super hero flicks for a while, then re-watch all the Batman flicks after I get that urge again. That will tie me over until next summer.               

No comments:

Post a Comment