Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Monsters, Mayhem and More!

Yes, it finally happened. It happened to my mom, my dad, my sister, my cousin and now, it's happened to me. I thought it could pass me by, but it came upon me in my late twenties. I saw the signs coming, but I tried to ignore me thinking it would pass me by, that I would not have to live like them. However, I've discovered that I cannot escape who I am, and I am indeed fated to be one of them. I need glasses. Yes, I need glasses. What did you think had happened, I become a werewolf ? I had been reading Anne Rice's The Wolf's Gift and I have to say it's one of the best horror/monster stories I've read in a while. So, I've been busy getting glasses, fixing a computer problem, and trying to find a way to write for a living full time. In the meantime, I've found no time to write so sorry to my readers. That doesn't mean I haven't taken in a few flicks here and there, and found some Youtube videos for your enjoyment. Outside the genre's usually discussed on this blog, I've been enjoying AMC's ad Mad Men, and I got a chance to see the preview of Magic City on Starz and the finale of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Mad Men is like always slowly heating up to big dramatic conclusions, and I did enjoy Magic City, the gangster drama set in the early sixties Miami (part of a trend of Mad Men inspired shows beginning with The Playboy Club). Since my tastes are not so narrow, I plan on starting a separate movies and TV blog to share my thoughts about the great broad art I appreciate in all it's forms. Now, on to the video cheese that my fans and I crave.

A great sneak peek of the new Avengers movie is available online, and reveals a fight between Iron Man and Thor. Check it out here. This film looks like it could be one of the best action flicks yet, and will be the hottest movie this summer next to The Dark Knight Rises.



The original Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of my favorite vintage Science Fiction flicks. It's surprising that I've had the DVD of the 2008 Brenden Fraiser remake and had seen it in bits and pieces only. I finally sat through it and the 2008 version is probably one of the best remakes. The new film re-imagines the classic story as a modern children's fantasy adventure, and creatively uses the existence of the classic novel as part of the plot. The original novel is a science fiction classic by Jule Verne, whom is famous for predicting technology that would actually be invented later on in his novels. For instance, From the Earth to the Moon described a space travel voyage from Cape Canaveral Florida to the moon in the mid 1800's, and 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea was a submarine adventure written before they were invented. Sad to say that his most entertaining and endearing work, Journey to the Center of the Earth, is outlandish and completely off base scientifically. In this story, a professor lead a small expedition to the earth's interior which they discover is a strange prehistoric world filled with dinosaurs, caveman, and other types of creatures.



The novel has been filmed several times, beginning with a 1959 version starring James Mason and Pat Boone. A few other versions followed in the next decades, with a glut of recent made for TV or direct to DVD versions that were kind of amusing or totally crappy. I loved watching the original as a kid; so the idea of reworking this into a family adventure was a top notch idea. The idea of a world under the earth is such a bogus idea now it just works this way. I need to see the somewhat related new film Journey 2 the Mysterious Island. A slow but interesting version of this film Where Time Began is available on Youtube by CrazeDigitalMovies. They seem like a legitimate company with the proper copyright to put these movies online, or these flicks are public domain. I have streamed the film Where Time Began here for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment