Friday, May 27, 2011

Exotic Beatuies, Monsters, Cavemen and Peter Cushing

In a night of very guilty pleasure, I just watched The deliciously cheesy At the Earth's Core. The film features Doug Mclure, Caroline Munro, and Peter Cushing. The film is based on an Edgar Rice Burroguhs story. Burroughs was best known for creating the Tarzan Character. So, At the Earth's Core has some good creative ideas behind it. The positive things end there, as At the Earth's Core has wildly outdated special effects that are laughable today, and a silly script. It's somehow still fun. I think this is a good example of something that could use remaking. At the Earth's Core could be a good Scyfy Channel original in todays' film market. I think they should get an MMA fighter or someone to play Doug Mclure's character though. The film never explained why a cigar smoking business man was bad ass enough to take out vicious caveman twice his size and an entire civilization of flying dinosaur things with psychic powers. Then again, that was the least unbelievable thing. I just still feel like picking at it. I also wonder why all the cave people living in this harsh underground world speak perfect English, and could never organize themselves militarily until two British guys showed up. Maybe there's dark imperialistic subtext in this film that I'll just try to ignore. The list goes on. I saw this movie as a kid and thought it was epic, so I'll always love it I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment